Please fill out the Class Info Form for more information on any class or to pre-register.
Please check the calendar for class changes due to holidays, weather, etc...
Puppy Class - Evenings (Pre-registration is required)
We offer 2 evening puppy classes. These are core classes (no prior class is required).
- Social Puppy is for the baby puppy (generally 2-4 months of age)
- 7 week class held on Thursdays at 6:00 PM
- Limited to 8 dogs
- S.T.A.R. Puppy is for puppies 4 months and older
- 7 week class held on Thursdays at 7:00 PM
- Limited to 8 dogs
- Prerequisite: Social Puppy, Family Puppy, or consent of the instructor
- Brochure_S.T.A.R. Puppy
Family Puppy Class - Weekday (Pre-registration is required)
This is a core class (no prior class is required).
- 6 week class held on Wednesdays at 9:30 AM
- Limited to 8 dogs
Basic Obedience for Family Dog (Pre-registration is required)
Are you looking for a dog training class for beginners? No prior experience is necessary. This class is for dogs 6 months and older who have had no prior classes. This class is ideal for those who want to fine tune skills from S.T.A.R. Puppy, the new adopted/rescue dog, or the family dog who needs some basic training.
This class uses motivational techniques to learn skills and create a stronger bond with the handler and dog. In this class you will learn techniques for:
- Having your dog gain focus on you
- Come when called
- Loose leash walking
- Leave It!
- And some fun games
6 week class held on Mondays at 6:00 PM, starting the first week of January 2023. Limited to 8 dogs.
Canine Good Citizen (CGC) (Pre-registration is required)
CGC is open to all dogs, mixed breeds and purebreds, 6 months and older. This class builds on the skills learned in Family Dog and S.T.A.R. Puppy. By training in CGC, you and your dog will deepen your bond and become a more connected team. You will not only learn foundational skills for the evaluation but will master skills so you and your dog will be welcomed, well-mannered, community members. The 10 elements taught in class include:
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Walking on a loose leash
- Walking through a crowd
- Sit stays and down stays
- Recalls (coming when called)
- Walking past another dog
- Reaction to distractions
- Supervised separation
At the end of the 7-week session, you and your dog can be tested on the 10 elements to earn an AKC Certificate or AKC Title.
(** Please note, AKC accepts dogs over 6 months but prefers dogs are tested after 1 year of age.)
- Mondays 7:15 PM.
- Wednesdays 10:30 AM
Limited to 8 dogs.
Prerequisite: S.T.A.R. Puppy, Family Dog, or consent of the instructor.
If you have not taken a class or want to retest, contact (608) 752-4485 or email janesvillebeloitKC@gmail.com
AKC Community Canine (CGCA) (Pre-registration is required)
The next level of canine good citizenship! Building on skills learned for the CGC testing, this class teaches another 10 items good for the average dog owner to teach their dog in order for them to be good partners. The 10 elements taught in class include:
- Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control while the owner sits at the registration table and fills out paperwork, or while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with someone (e.g., at a park).
- Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring); does not pull.
- Walks on a loose leash through a crowd. This item is tested in a real crowd, not in a ring.
- Dog walks past distraction, dogs present; does not pull.
- Sit-stay in small group (3 other people with dogs). Owners and dogs are in an informal group while owners have a conversation.
- Dog allows person who is carrying something (g., purse, computer case, backpack) to approach and pet it. “May I pet your dog?” (Item is put on floor/ground before person pets dog.)
- “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions, “Leave it.”
- Down or sit stay (owner’s choice) at a distance.
- Recall with distractions present (coming when called). Handler goes out 20-ft. (off center) and calls dog. Dog comes past a distracter to return to handler.
- Dog enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway (on leash, with owner) in a controlled manner.
At the end of the 6-week session, you and your dog can be tested on the 10 elements to earn an AKC Certificate or AKC Title.
- Saturdays 10:30 AM, starting January 14, 2023
Limited to 8 dogs.
Prerequisite: Completion of Canine Good Citizen (CGC) class.
Scent Work Class (Pre-registration is required)
Scent Work is a positive, challenging activity that allows dogs the opportunity to use their strongest natural sense in a way that's fun, engaging, and that builds and strengthens a foundation of trust between the handler and dog. We currently offer 2 levels of classes:
- A 4-week introduction foundation class starts on the 1st Monday of every month.
- The second class is for those who have completed an introduction class.
- Scent skills are practiced in Containers, Buried, Interior, Exterior.
Both classes require pre-registration. Junior Handlers are welcomed when accompanied by a parent.
Prerequisite: Completion of a 'pet manners' class, i.e., Family Dog, Canine Good Citizen (CGC), or consent of the instructor.
Tricks Class (Pre-registration is required)
Based on on the AKC Trick Dog program, you will learn at least 12 tricks and have fun with your dog! Tricks can actually be very helpful with everyday obedience and helps to engage your dog and build your team. Class is taught by an AKC Trick Dog Evaluator and testing can be done at the end if you would like an official AKC Trick Dog title! Tricks taught in class may include:
- Saturdays 9:30 AM, starting January 14, 2023
6-week session. Limited to 8 dogs.
Novice Obedience (Pre-requisites: Completion of CGC or consent of Instructor)
- Beginner Obedience teaches you how to train your dog in a formal way. Essential for anyone who might go on to show your dog in obedience trials.
- Drop-in classes run 1st through 3rd Tuesdays each month at 6:00 PM
Rally Obedience (Pre-requisite: Completion of CGC or consent of instructor)
- Rally is a fun way to do obedience with your dog. Dogs and handlers learn to navigate the signs and exercises, run courses, design courses, and just have fun.
- Drop-in classes run 1st through 3rd Tuesdays each month at 7:00 PM
- This class teaches conformation showing in its entirety
- Drop-in classes are held the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at 7:00 PM.